Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Popgun Volume 3


Greetings! I'm proud to plug the latest volume of Popgun Volume 3 from IMAGE comics with a gorgeous cover by Tara McPherson. I'm thrilled to say I was a part of the project. It is an incredible collection of work. I hate to admit it, but my contribution looks like a thrift store painting in a collection of Rembrandts.

I have a short 8 page story called "Bunnyboy". It is actually based on a true account from my mother's childhood but given a scifi/horror/b-movie twist. The tale features my mom, my aunts, and my grandparents with a cast of "made-up" support characters. I'm afraid to show my 89 year old grandfather in fear that he will punch me in the mouth for making him look mean (which he is actually one of the greatest people in the world). Sorry Grandpa!

The redneck neighbor/baddie in the story is "VERY loosely" based on their actual neighbor in the mid 1950's. In real life he was a friendly quiet man....but still butchered chickens in the yard. Oh, and the rabbit named Bunnyboy actually existed, but my mom never knew what truly happened to him...(read the story).

I rendered it in loose ink washes and pen lines, but wished I had used a bolder brushed line...or even painted it in watercolor. Mark Andrew Smith, D.J. Kirkbride, and Thomas Mauer were a joy to work with. I had a great time throughout the process. Please check it out and pick up a copy now!

http://www.popguncomics.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment